You are here
University of Minnesota Academic Health Center
Academic health centers unite education and hospital programs to train health professionals, conduct groundbreaking research, and provide comprehensive patient care. The Academic Health Center at the University of Minnesota is one of more than 100 members of the Association for Academic Health Centers nationwide.
We are one of the most comprehensive academic health centers in the country. We are home to six colleges and schools, and more than 90 centers and institutes. Our health professionals and students work and learn together. Doctors train with pharmacists. Public health workers partner with veterinarians. Nurses collaborate with dentists.
For Minnesota, this means well-trained, collaborative health care providers; highly informed researchers exposed to different perspectives; and ultimately, healthier families. Read more about our impact.
The Academic Health Center aims to:
- Educate the next generation of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, public health professionals, and veterinarians.
- Discover and deliver new preventions, treatments, and cures that improve the health of families and communities.
- Enhance Minnesota’s bioscience industries and grow the state’s economy.
We advance these goals through:
- Our people—students, faculty, and staff who are learning and discovering every day
- Our state—which has invested in the Biomedical Discovery District and the Minnesota Partnership, a collaboration between the University and Mayo Clinic
- Our donors—who have given generously to support the University of Minnesota Foundation
- Our business partners—who help bring discoveries made by our faculty to market, and thus to the people of our state.
Aaron Friedman, M.D.
Vice President for Health Sciences | Dean, Medical School
Aaron Friedman, M.D., leads the Academic Health Center, a $1.2 billion enterprise. He assumed this role in January 2011. He is the second to hold the dual position of vice president and dean of the Medical School, roles the University combined in July 2009. Prior to his current position, Friedman was head of the Department of Pediatrics, holding the Ruben-Bentson Chair since his arrival to the Medical School in 2008.
Leon Assael, D.M.D., C.M.M.
Dean, School of Dentistry
Connie Delaney, Ph.D., R.N.
Dean, School of Nursing
Marilyn Speedie, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Pharmacy
John Finnegan, Jr., Ph.D.
Dean, School of Public Health
Trevor Ames, D.V.M., M.S.
Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine