University of Minnesota / Mayo Clinic / Karolinska Institute
Frontiers in Global Health Research
November 1 - 2, 2012
American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis, MN
Over two days, speakers from three world-renowned research institutions—the University of Minnesota, Mayo Clinic, and the Karolinska Institutet of Stockholm, Sweden—will provide fresh perspectives on the leading causes of death and suffering in the world: cardiovascular disease, cancer, smoking, diabetes, nutritional deficiency, and infectious diseases.
Featured speakers include Peter Agre, a Nobel laureate from Johns Hopkins University, and Hans Rosling, founder of Gapminder, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting sustainable global development.
Agre and Rosling will open and close the Symposium, respectively, with talks focused on social injustice, one of the underlying causes of many global health problems, especially in developing countries.
Through the Symposium, we hope to foster communication and collaborations between researchers, health care workers and concerned citizens who together can truly make an impact in solving global health problems.
View full agenda (.pdf)
Who should attend?
Students, faculty members, and other professionals interested in global health are invited to this exciting symposium.
American Swedish Institute
Nelson Cultural Center
2600 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55407
- Science and Social Justice/Peter Agre
- Understanding Biology to Avoid Deaths From Malaria/Mats Wahlgren
- Malaria and Iron Deficiency: A Dangerous Equilibrium/Chandy John
- The Diabetes Pandemic: From Bench to Bedside to the Global Village/ Harriet Wallberg-Henriksson
- Vaccination- A Global Perspective/Greg Poland
- New Principles of B Cell Biology Revealed by HIV Vaccine Research/Gunilla Hedestam
- Sleep Apnea/Virend Somers
- Diabetes: A Global Perspective/K. Sreekumaran Nair
- Regulation of Human Adipose Turnover in Health and Disease/Mikael Ryden
- HIV-Mayo-African Project/Zelalem Temesgen
- HIV-IRIS and Cryptococcal Meningitis/Paul Bohjanen
- Heart Failure Management and Prevention/Jay Cohn
- Colorectal Cancer in the Developing World/David Rothenberger
- Addressing Tobacco Dependence/Richard Hurt
- The Smoking Pandemic/Harry Lando
- Diet and Lifestyle in Prevention of Chronic Disease/Alicja Wolk
- Mind the Gap/Hans Rosling