Drug delivery and design
You are here
At the University of Minnesota, we believe that collaboration is key to unlocking cures to some of our world’s most challenging conditions. With that in mind, we’ve fostered a faculty across the health sciences that work in concert to construct the most advanced pharmaceuticals in development today.
Our College of Pharmacy consistently ranks among the top three pharmacy schools in the nation. Through cutting-edge research at several institutes and centers within the school, students and faculty are busy designing, discovering and developing drugs to provide therapy for a wide variety of human health conditions.
Additionally, researchers within the University of Minnesota’s Center for Drug Design work to unite efficient, high-level research with the design and development of new, highly-effective drugs. That center has already developed therapeutics to combat HIV/AIDs (carbovir and abacavir). Current research includes the development of an anti-cyanide agent, and a functional cosmetic compound that helps skin cells prevent or fight skin cancer and work toward pharmacological agents that slow the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
Related Academic Health Center units
- Center for Drug Design
- Institute for Therapeutics Discovery and Development
- Pathway Driven Pharmacogenomics, University Of Minnesota Alliance - Institute of Personalized Medicine (PUMA-IPM)
College of Pharmacy Centers and Institutes:
- Center for Forecasting Drug Response
- Center for Clinical and Cognitive Neuropharmacology
- Center for Orphan Drug Research
- Center for Translational Drug Delivery
- Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology
Education and training opportunities
- Graduate and professional programs in Pharmacy
- PharmacoNeuroImmunology (PNI) program: The PNI program trains pre- and post-doctoral biomedical scientists in an interdisciplinary field, focusing on the interactions of drugs of abuse with the nervous and immune systems as well as behavior.
- Continuing pharmacy education
- Pharmacy e-Learning
- NSF-Sponsored Chemistry Collaborations, Workshops and Communities of Scholars