Health Sciences Education Center (HSEC)
The University of Minnesota Academic Health Center (AHC), along with the University of Minnesota's office of Capital Planning and Project Management, are finalizing plans on a new Health Sciences Education Center (HSEC).
The design team of Perkins + Will and SLAM are working with the AHC schools and Biomedical Library on the project. The HSEC will be located on the current site of the VFW and Masonic buildings at Harvard and Delaware streets. The new facility will connect and extend into the Phillips-Wangensteen Building (PWB) where some existing spaces will be renovated.
This new facility is vital to prepare students and practicing healthcare professionals for an experiential, team-based approach to patient care. - Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA
New building quick facts and features
- The HSEC, at 202,000 gross square feet, will be one of the most comprehensive interprofessional education facilities in the country.
- The building will serve as the new “front door” for the AHC schools and will include a student services, recruitment and visitors center, a cafe, and interprofessional student lounge spaces for health sciences students.
- The classrooms will be the center of AHC interprofessional education, and a mix of active learning and small group teaching spaces will support this student-centered model.
- The AHC Simulation Center and IERC in PWB will be co-located with the SIMPortal currently in the Mayo Building. The facility will include both acute and ambulatory care spaces, trainer stations, briefing/debriefing rooms and actor prep spaces where interprofessional teams can train in sophisticated settings.
- The Biomedical Library, currently located in Diehl Hall, will be relocated with a greater emphasis on knowledge creation and knowledge management. Teaching and visualization studios, VR maker spaces, tech sandboxes and one-button studios will be available along with technical support. The current printed collection will be scaled back with the majority of the printed materials stored off-site.
- Quiet study, group study, and social spaces will be provided throughout the facility to promote interprofessional interaction and study opportunities.
Tentative schedule and milestone dates
- December 1, 2017 - Occupants Vacate VFW/Masonic
- March 2018 - Demolition of VFW/Masonic
- June 2018 - Construction of HSEC
- December 21, 2019 - Substantial Building Completion
- Winter-Spring 2020 - AHC Occupancy